Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Bayi Jinianguan

August first (8/1, or "Ba Yi") is a very special day for the people of China -- but particularly for the people of Nanchang; and as a student of history I am blessing the decision to rent where I live at present. Not only am I in the screaming midsection of Zhongshan Road, but I am only a few hundred meters in either direction of the two places that represent the Peoples Uprising that began on August 1, 1927.

The August 1 Memorial shown in the previous post is a five minute walk east of me, along Zhongshan Road. The August 1 Uprising Museum - pictured here - takes about ten minutes, walking in the other direction.



Once known as the Jiangxi Grand Hotel, this building was the Headquarters for the August 1 Nanchang Uprising, and was also Zhu De's residence, at the time of the uprising.


No comments: